Skip to main content

Health: Cholesterol


I am updating this post with some new knowledges that I have now.
My highest total cholesterol was 254/200 with LDL 187/100 on August 2022. I was prescribed a cholestrol med at a medium dosage and start my healthy diet, along with managing my uric acid level.

It went down to total cholesterol 184/200 and LDL 118/100 on December 2022, and the result on the pic goes down again to 153/200 at the beginning of Januari 2023. 

Then I was a bit curious, I thought; hey my cholesterol is low now, I wanna try to eat fried food and see how it goes. 

Do note that I do self blood test weekly, do regular medical checkup monthly, journal everything I eat everyday, and I mostly eat the same food at the same amount almost at the same time. So, any slightly difference in my numbers, I will instantly know what food intake that caused the changes. 

I took 2pcs fried risoles and 1pcs of peyek teri while I was eating pecel the next day, and my cholesterol went up to 239/200 when I took the test at the end of the week. I was shocked. So, I went with strict diet again, eliminate anything fried at a cold turkey point lol, and it went down again to 182/200 after a week. 

I tested my whole family last week, during the CNY and three of my family members got high cholesterol. 212, 299, 365 out of 200 (max normal range) and what differs them are how frequently and the amount of fried food, chips, snacks, etc that they eat.

Then, not ling after, my mom dropped 80 points of her Cholesterol from 298/200 to 211/200 in the span of two weeks just by following the steps and changing her diet, without any medication. And I've tested on eating fried food once or twice and my cholesterol went up, but as long as I maintain the rest of my food intake, it did go down and be stable again.

So, by now, we already know that whether it is cholesterol or uric acid, all are very related to what we eat and do, in a real time daily basis.  Improving our condition is just about changing our eating habits and activities, and this are what I do: 

EGGS

Scientists have debunked the myth, eating high cholesterol food turns out doesn't make our cholesterol lever higher. Egg is actually one of the best animal protein sources that is safe for cholesterol and uric acid. And should you choose to make egg as your main protein source, you could go up to 7 eggs/day. I personally take up to 4 eggs/day, and boiled. 

You might wanna read and watch these to back up the info about eggs and the myths around it that has been debunked by the latest science and research:

https://www.drberg.com/blog/why-i-eat-4-eggs-daily-and-why-you-should-too

https://www.pritikin.com/healthiest-diet/pritikin-eating-plan

https://youtu.be/FKrCe9fHsSc


ELIMINATE ALL FRIED FOOD 

Especially the deep fried ones. I tested my whole family during CNY 2023, and some of their numbers were 211, 298, and even 365. The only thing that differs them was their love of fried foods and chips. And based of my own test and trials, whenever I eat something fried, my cholesterol level will always goes up. 

The problem gets worse when you fried the food using the oil that has been repeteadly use and cooked above its' smoking point. 


EAT MORE FOOD THAT PROMOTE TO LOWER LDL 

 • Almond with skin 10-20pcs

• Flaxseeds 1-2 tsp

• Chia seeds 1-3 tsp

• Margarine with phytosterols 2-3gr

• Garlic 1-2 cloves

• Apple 1pcs

• Soy protein (suggested 20-25gr/day, but I only take 1 tsp/day because of the estrogen and purine level.)

• Oatmeal (suggested 1 cup/day but I skip this)

• Beans (suggested half cup/day but I rarely eat beans because of the lectin.)

This is something I get from the book Cholesterol Down by Janet Bond Brill, Ph.D..R.D..LDN, she explained a lot about all of the ingredients and why or how they could lower your LDL. You might wanna read the book to get complete info. 


EAT HOMECOOK MORE

Because we will never really know what the restaurant put inside of the food, or how they process the food. I found that some ingredients on a fish soup were fried first, some sauce has few ingridients that was deep fried, and so on. 

We also won't know what type of oil that they use. Some oil doubled the saturated fat when being heated more than recommended degree. Different type of oils also matter a lot to our health, and we all know how expensive olive oil is, which is why most restaurant won't use it. Not to mention that they often use the oil repeatedly to deep fry the food.

Imagine 1 tbsp of olive oil is approx 119 cal with 1.9 saturated fat (1 pack indomie is 300 cal). From what I read, once we reheat the oil for the second time (repeat use) the callorie goes up to about three times higher. So 1tbsp olive oil will be approx 357 (more than instant noodle), and that's 1tbsp only. How many tbsp do you think we need to deep fried food and how many of them being absorbed in the food that we eat?


WALK MORE 

According to the book Cholesterol Down by Janet Bond Brill Ph.D..R.D..LDN, 30mins of daily walk could help lower cholesterol level. Jessie Inchauspé, the writer of Glucose Revolution, suggest 10mins of light walk after meal to  maintain your glucose spike and lower the insulin. And according to my health and fitness doctor, walking is the best, simplest, and cheapest exercise with maximum benefit.

Well, I've made walking almost as a daily habit since months before, so I just challenge myself on the speed and distance during endurance test. Other than that, 30mins with speed 4 is good enough. 

EXTRA POINT: There are new info that we actually don't need to cut out saturated and unsaturated fats to maintain normal cholesterol levels—you need to control insulin spikes. (Dr.Berg), and this actually goes along with what Jessie Inchauspé (the writer of Glucose Revolution) said on her interview with Tom Bilyeu about eating food with high cholesterol doesn't mean it will raise your cholesterol, and the part where she mentioned about how some myths about eggs have been debunked.

However, since I haven't finished reading her book and I haven't personally tried it, I am not discussing further about it. However, shall I find it useful and works for me, I will update this post oftenly to keep it relevant with what I do. 

That's all I guess. I combine these points along with the diet for maintaining uric acid that I posted before. It works well for me, but you need to check whether it works the same way for you, cause each body reacts differently. Always do your research and journaling. 

DISCLAIMER: 

Here, I will share what I have found and been doing, but first, please note that I am NOT a health or medical expert, and my purposes of writing and posting this on my personal blog are; 

1. To save and update regularly all of the information about cholesterol that I have found and might need to read again furthermore in the future. 

2. To share the information that I have that might help other people who seek for them, as how I was seeking for them before.

What I write here are all based on what I read, do, and how my body reacts towards certain food and activities. As I have mentioned before; different body has different reaction towards food and activities, so what works for me might not work for you. You should keep journaling and do the test and trial based on your own body reaction. 

I will always try to put at least one source of where I found the information and usually consider an information valid when I have found it at least three times on some articles, books, or info that I read elsewhere, but please do your own research and know your own risk, always. 

---------
- Aim for a better tomorrow through healthy lifestyle, diverse insights, creative arts, and minimalist living. - 

Thank you for supporting my intention through owning my artworks, reading my writings, and following my Instagram. You could also support my page with buy me a coffee at the link below. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now

H ello. You are on my Now page and these are the things that I'm currently focusing on: - Healthy, balanced, and mindful living is my first priority now. - I was hospitalized for a month from August - September 2022. Some viruses attacked a part of my brain and brain stem which causes imbalances on my motoric gravity, plus I had a gout attack for the first time in my life. My infusion had to be sewn on my neck cause the meds need to be inserted through the central vein for three weeks straight. I promised myself to never be that sick ever again, and determined to change my whole lifestyle, including to prioritize myself, my health, and my peace first. Since then, I have lost 22kgs, have been maintaining my uric acid level below 5.5, manage my cholesterol level down to 146, maintain my normal fast glucose level at 85, and been eating, exercising, and living healthier, plus doing so many changes in life including the way I sleep and raising my water intake level. - Creating intentio

What If Word Is Not The Real Language ?

What if word is not the real language? And what if the basic importance of communication is neither about who is the sender or how it was being sent? Aside from love which is hard to be measured, music and art are two of the few fields and disciplines in life that have proven those two questions as very relatable and argumentative. With music, we have seen many cross boundaries musicians who don't understand each others' (word-y) languages, collaborated and jammed together nicely. Classical, Jazz, and Swing are among few genres that put forward on those wordless language heavily, according to their own principles on each of their own disciplines. We can even enjoy music without really understand the lyrics or even without lyrics at all. With art, we've seen how the works of artists who have passed away hundred years ago still resound heavily to us now. Even without really knowing about the background of the artists or their works, we're still able to enjoy them and dist

10 Things We Don't Buy Anymore As Minimalists

10 things we don't buy anymore as minimalists, and few things that we still buy to replace the old ones. 1. Physical Book  Not only physical book takes spaces, most of the physical books that available here are also outdated and strongly curated. We can only grow when we learn to understand different perspectives and see things from different angles, even from the one that we might disagree with. To read the same books that everyone reads and only cater to certain perspectives, certainly won't help us to grow. We also have to get the latest knowledge and facts to get better results in everything. I find e-books fill those needs ad gaps better for me, while my husband choose audio books, lately. 2. Perfume If you should, you won't need more than one bottle that will last for 1-2 years.  3. Physical Music I use Spotify.  4. Coffee Machine & Refill 1 French Press and 1 manual dripper do the works well until now. 5. Souvenirs We don't buy for ourselves, and not for othe